Saturday, September 11, 2010

You want your clothes back? Not possible.

I am happy to report that Camille and I survived a questionable stay in Bari and have now safely made it to Florence. I am also reporting that no one should ever go to Bari, as there is pretty much nothing good about this god forsaken place. So we arrived in Bari from Naples Wednesday night. After a 4 hour train ride and an entire day in the train station, we finally made it to Bari Central train station. From there we were instructed (after a lot of confusion in different languages) that we needed to take a bus to connect to another bus. Needless to say this went horribly, and not a single person spoke a word of English. A few hours, lots of rain and two very tired and confused travelers later, we found te hostel and passed out. Oh and our roommate was an African Queen who may or may not have been living permanently in this hostel... We named her Esmerelda.

So the next day, we woke up, got breakfast, and Camille washed her clothes. She hung them on the windowsill as usual to dry. Then we went out for the day, very excited for a day of relaxing beaches in southern Italy. We made it to one small castle when it started to downpour. We of course tried once again to navigate the public transportation system, but failed. I did everything I could to protect my new leather bag!! (shes ok don't worry)

So many hours later we made it back to the hostel. We quickly discovered that the storm had blown Camille's shorts out the window and onto a nearby roof. I of course died laughing. We had also discovered quickly on this trip that when you ask an Italian for example "I went to use the bathrooms in the train station but they are closed" they reply with "not possible." and nothing further. As if there is no physical way on the face of the planet that the bathrooms could be closed. They use this expression in many instances. You want a train ticket to Rome? Not possible. You want to share a plate of spaghetti? Not possible.

Anyway, so the next day, 4 buses, 2 trains and a plane ride later, we got the hell out of Bari and made it to Florence, my favorite place in the world. The hostel here is a converted convent, and is just fabulous. Today we saw the Duomo, a few other cathedrals, the main square and we went to a leather market. It smelled soooooo goooooood. I bought lots of presents here.
Then we finally saw Il Ponte Vecchio which is my favorite bridge (and favorite place) in the whole world, and it was even more beautiful than I had remembered.I wanted to stay there forever and just admire it.

Anyway we are off to dinner now! More pasta and wine mmmmm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment