Wednesday, September 22, 2010

This is the highway...

So sorry to anyone who is actually reading this, but we had scarce internet the last few days of backpacking so I had to wait until now to update. After we left Florence we headed for Venice. We ran into a slight issue on the train there which was that we bought a ticket, but not a seat (because apparently it wouldn't make sense to put these two things together) and nearly got kicked off the train. So after a lot of harsh words and 36 euros later, we arrived in venice to our hostel which was conveniently situated in the middle of a chinese restaurant. No, not next to it, in the middle of it. Strange.

Anyway, we made our way into the actual city of Venice (different than the one where our hostel was) which is the real Venice. It was gorgeous. Every single thing is on the water.. it really is a floating city! I don't know why it was so hard for me to believe, but it just seemed so magical. Every type of public transportation is on the water! And there are bridges EVERYWHERE (which I lovvvved).
So the first day we just wandered around and somehow made our way to the complete opposite very end of the island. As in if we took another 10 steps we probably would have dropped off into the ocean. After a very very long battle trying to find our way all the way back across the island, we finally made it back. The second day we went to this main piazza, where all the pigeons land on people if you stand still. I found it to be freaky and disgusting, but amusing at the same time. We made sure not to stand still for too long. In fact, one guy was lying on the ground with about 20 pigeons on him, and one eating a pretzel out of his mouth. And people had their babies with pigeons on them!!! It was very weird.

The day after that we left for Milan. Milan was a very needed rest, and also a very needed shopping spree as I had finally bought a suitcase and was able to buy things to fill it! We bought Camille the teeny tiniest straightener and hair dryer i've ever seen. We also had McDonald's for dinner this night, just because it was a stressful day and the smell of American french fries were calling to us. It was delicious!

After Milan I left for London, and I will write about that in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment