Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Grazie!.....Prego?

So here we are on our second day in Napoli, and we seem to be getting along just fine, despite the possible death surrounding us (vespas). Anyway, today we went to Pompei. It was amazing. When we first arrived, my thought was, oh some more ancient ruins. It seemed to look just like the acropolis, and I was slightly put off by paying 11 euros for something I've basically seen already. But alas, as we entered and started our journey through the miles of ruins, I could have slapped myself for being so ignorant. They were incredible - so perfectly preserved and not infected by reconstruction or ugly scaffolding. We saw all the homes of the pompeians (?) a few theaters, and of course, some petrified bodies. Creepy, but SO COOL!

We spent about three hours there, then took off for sorrento. I Imagined sorrento being very touristy but Beautiful, and figured we would just chill on the beach for the rest of the day. Oh i say not.

We actually never found the beach, but we found was soooooo much better. Leather, leather, and more leather. In fact so much leather that I began to think oxygen smelled like leather. I did get a bit carried away with the purchases, but it was just so soft and beautiful and pretty! Camille swindled a nice bargain for the bag and belt I bought, saved me a solid $20 and we moved on. I did make several other purchases, although these are a surprise :)

We eventually (after several hours of shopping and a heavenly cannoli) found the port of sorrento which was breathtaking. I will try to load some pictures on here when I can figure it out. I have taken 254 photos on this trip thus far, so I promise there is much to see. When we returned to naples after about a 75 minute metro ride, we grabbed some disgusting dinner and made our way back to the hostel. We made a few friends last night, but they are gone today, so hopefully we will meet some new people. We have to check out tomorrow at 10 am, and then catch our 4 hour train to Bari at 5 Pm. I plan to spend all day Thursday tanning on the beautiful beach in Bari, as I think my body is going into exercise shock. It needs a day off to rest.

I suppose tonight we will take it easy because we are exhausted. Tomorrow before our train we plan to hit up "pizzeria street" (an actual street) with all the best pizza in Naples. Oh, and speaking of pizza, we witnessed a hot dog and French fry pizza last night (we did not eat it). We also learned the Italian word for cotton candy - puffo. We had some awesome puffo gelato yesterday. I'll write again soon though I may not have internet for a while!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment