Monday, December 20, 2010

Frozen Fog Expected...

So, 11 days ago when I said I only had 10 days left in London, I lied. I'm sure at this point all of you have heard from me at one point or another about the current horrifying conditions in London airports. Heathrow is a complete mess, and there is no hope as of right now to be fixing it anytime soon. I have gotten a total of 5 hours of sleep since Friday, and last night I spent 8 hours from midnight to 8:30 am on the phone and online trying to book another flight out of here before christmas after my first two were canceled, from Genna's house after I had to go back there at midnight because I found out my flight was canceled and BONUS: my residence hall had no internet for 2 days. I miraculously booked a direct flight to JFK for Wednesday morning - this was amazing because all flights available have layovers in other European cities that are snowed in. Heathrow estimates half a million people to be stranded in the airport through the holidays. I literally cannot believe there haven't been riots. I can tell you that I will be leading them on Wednesday if my third flight is canceled, and I will also be resigning myself to a nice lonely Christmas away from home.

The only somewhat entertaining part of this whole bit is watching the news and seeing the interviews with Americans who have been sleeping in Heathrow on standby for any flight out by Christmas. The Brits seem to be aggravated but not quite enraged about the whole situation. The Americans on the other hand, know that this would NEVER happen in America, and this is why I am so surprised the riots have not yet begun. There is more snow expected tonight, tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. Though checking the weather is mostly pointless, because it changes every 23 seconds and they predict things like "frozen fog". What is frozen fog?? Is it like foggy out and then you walk into a block of frozen fog? Picturing this at least brought some humor to the situation.

If I can't get out Wednesday, I am hoping that I will at least be able to fly out Christmas day or the 26th.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed that my flight Wednesday does not get canceled. I would really like to come home now.

No comments:

Post a Comment